28 July 2005

Burn the heretics!

Early in February, I wrote about Singapore's curious religious resurgence, where people who call themselves Christians believe

that a particular phrase in the Bible tells us directly and authoritatively that Harry Potter books are evil... Not so much of believing that God intercedes for us, but being convinced that he is actively working on OUR SIDE when we're trying to fight our way to the train, earning our first million, protesting for a pay rise... That we almost tripped while coming down the staircase but didn't, is a miracle, an intervention from the very Hand of God...


That was meant to be ironic and slightly exaggerated. It has come to my attention, however, that such nutjobs really exist in Singapore! You can even read their testimonies here.

Among other things, these "Christians" believe that God caused their property prices to increase, that their ascension to the Million-Dollar Table was divinely inspired, that because God saved a certain parishioner's father when he "rightly" did nothing (When I bo chup, God saved my dad!).

And yes, these people take the Holy Communion everwhere: in their cars, at home, some 3 times a day, and mostly without the administration of any priest.

There is one word for these people: HERETICS.

Kenny and Edward, being good Catholics and Orthodox Christians, merely have to worry about the Novus Ordo and the most sinister CLOWN MASSES. Well, if you think that liturgy is bad, keep in mind that the New Creation church people celebrate the Eucharist in cars and at home, using coca cola for wine.

Then, there is this Rev. Kong Hee, who claims "Jesus wore the modern-day equivalent of a business suit. That is why I'm dressed like this. I want to be like Jesus! Hallejulah!"

I long for the good old days where the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith would defrock and burn heretics like these at the stake. Okay, so the New Creation Church of Singapore and City Harvest are protestant non-denominational branches? Fine, in the good old days of the Reformation, we Protestants tortured and drowned heretics like these too.

3 comments:

jeffyen said...

Then, there is this Rev. Kong Hee, who claims "Jesus wore the modern-day equivalent of a business suit. That is why I'm dressed like this. I want to be like Jesus! Hallejulah!"

Is there a source for this? I've very intrigued lol

chong y l said...

Dear Illusio:

Just popped by via another Blogger's site. My interest was aroused by this post, and I smiled to muself.

My stance is: if these heretics want to attribute to Pastor Prince's great, saving power in the name of ..., just LET IT BE.

People sometyimes need to RATIONALISE to explain the happenings around them, affecting the, their relatives, ...Event A may not have an impact on B's father's fate at the hospital, but if B thinks that A does have an impact on his (B's) father's terminal illness, why not LET HIM BE?

There are just too many of these testimonials around -- if people only use their God-Gifted COMMON SENSE, there will be less such hullaballu floating around.

Enjoy thy post; will visit again. May I welcome thee (& your esteeemed readers too) to peep at desiderata2000?

akikonomu said...

Jeff: Gabriel should know the source =D

Desiderata: Welcome! Well actually my personal stance (when I'm more forgiving) is "God, save me from your believers!"